Sunday, November 22, 2009

On a better note.

So, now that I have voiced my frustration I can talk about something pretty cool. I had the chance to run my class for the whole day last Thursday by myself. My mentor was out watching a sick family (not good) and I was given the reins for a day (good). My mentor's co-teacher was even absent! The only other adult I had in the room was a substitute that was more than happy to stand aside and watch. I ended up assisting another class's pig dissection lab and then teaching four 70-minute periods by myself. Everything went great and I couldn't have asked for a better day. I even had an effective resolution to one my few problematic students causing an issue. All was well at Romulus High School, and my mentor was quite grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Drew,

    That's awesome that you had the chance to take over the class for a day. From watching your INS1 I'm sure you did a great job!

    I'm glad things are on the up and up.
    Keep it rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Drew (almost a month late)!
    It's amazing how different (and usually how much more fun) it is teaching without your mentor teacher in the room. Even if you have a great mentor, it can sometimes feel like babysitting with the parents home...it's nice to get a chance to do your own thing and feel like a real teacher once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete