Thursday, July 2, 2009

My ideal classroom for teaching biology would be a fairly simple layout. There would be desks that were movable so that students could make their own groups/lab stations, there would be separate lab stations devoted to more elaborate demonstrations and experiments, and there would be the usual black/white board up from so I can draw and write during my lessons. Also in the room would be various books of a level that the students could use to follow up on questions they may have. I would have a computer station also for research purposes. Hopefully my room would have a fair amount of windows so that I could set up some indoor/outdoor components to the class such as bird feeders or special plants. I am also a big fan of class pets and would try to have a few in the class.

3 comments:

  1. So, let's see...
    It sounds as though you want your classroom to be a flexible space, allowing for different kinds of work, and different kinds of teaching/demos, at different times. It sounds as though it's important to you that students be able to work together comfortably. Some science classrooms leave books out of the mix, but clearly yours would not...it seems as though you want to equip your students with the means with which to follow up on their questions and inquiries. It is also clear that you envision a classroom that is not divorced from the world outside. I like the idea of class pets...what do you see class pets as helping you to accomplish or build?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really appreciate the idea of a flexible and moveable classroom, and am impressed by seeing this "alternative" classroom setting in one of the most "traditional" subjects, biology (or more broadly, science). in high school, it seemed my efforts in biology class were limited by the static structure of the classroom; the assigned seating at lab tables required me to do all of my hands-on learning with the same group of students, which restricted development of new ideas to those of the two students who sat with me.

    additionally, i respect that your drawing doesn't focus primarily on computer technology. integrating books with a modest technological/computer station makes for a dynamic resource that every student can enjoy to some extent.

    ReplyDelete